Text Box: Gothenburg Historical Society and Museum
“A Window into the Past”

History of Gothenburg

  In 1882, Olaf Bergstrom, a minister from Goteborg, Sweden, was impressed with the fertile Platte valley on the Oregon Trail. He purchased eight blocks of land from the Union Pacific railroad and laid out a township four blocks long and two blocks wide. The main street, Lake Avenue, was first called Winchell Street. It was renamed in 1920 to match the layout of  the rest of the streets in town. The Swedish settlers were later joined by many German settlers who took advantage of the farming opportunity here. Our community is now comprised of many different nationalities.

  The Pony Express Historical Society was founded in 1980 with the goal of preserving Gothenburg’s history and artifacts relating to the Gothenburg area.

  Our facility, The Gothenburg Historical Museum, began as a dream and was finally realized in 2006 with the purchase of the building at 1420 Avenue F across the street from Ehmen Park and the historic Pony Express Station. Visit the museum to see the displays of photographs, documents and artifacts that tell the story of Gothenburg’s past.